Debra In the Press
Media Mentions and Appearances
Debra draws from a wealth of experience including heading her own firm for over 30 years. She has been featured on CNN, ABC, MSG’s Metro Money and CNNfn. She co-hosted CNNfn’s live financial call-in show with Stuart Varney & later, John Metaxsis in 2000, offering independent financial advice to hundreds of CNNfn viewers.
You’ll find her quoted in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Nation’s Business, Ladies Home Journal, The New York Times, Business Week, Family Money, Garden State Woman, Investment News, Dermatology Business Management, Journal of Financial Planning, Money, CNN Money, Financial Advisor, America Online’s Moneywise, The Star Ledger and Reader’s Digest. Debra is also a regular contributor to the Huffington Post.
Her mom is most proud of Reader’s Digest.
Debra is listed in Marquis’ Who’s Who in Finance & Industry & Who’s Who of American Women as well as Nationwide Register’s Who’s Who in Executives and Business.
Debra’s TEDx Cocoa Beach Talk
5 Costly Retirement Surprises
The reality of retirement may have a few shocks in store for you. Read More >>
Save for Retirement by Buying Land?
Your Top Questions Answered
Should I take my RMD early or wait until the end of the year?
While you may wish to time the receipt of your RMD to coincide with the necessary cash flow to meet certain bills, you certainly do have a choice of when to take your distribution. Not sure what you mean by “take average withdrawals until the end of the year”.
All other things being equal, I prefer to shelter the income and capital gains within the IRA vehicle as long as I can, thus, we often wait until the middle of December each year to push out our clients’ RMDs. Read More >>
Can an SEC licensed broker-dealer transfer your 401k account into an IRA without your permission?
No investment account may be transferred without the account holder’s (or their executor’s) signature, period. This would apply to a 401(k) being transferred, or Rolled into an IRA, AND/OR any other person, other than the account holder, gaining access to the account holder’s funds. Read More >>
Should I invest my inherited IRA in a variable annuity?
PLEASE say you haven’t done this yet!
In no way, shape or form should you consider investing an inherited IRA into another tax-sheltered investment, least of all an annuity, which contains substantial Mortality & Expense charges that would otherwise needlessly reduce your balance. Read More >>
- Other Answers from Debra on Investopedia…
- What can we do if my ex-husband is trying to get his 401k to cash out from his previous employer but they are refusing to give it to him?
- How much will I have to pay in taxes on an inherited 401k?
- Do we have to pay taxes on a cash distribution from a trust fund? Is it considered wages/income on our tax return forms?
More Articles from Investopedia…
Certified Financial Planner™
LTC Pricing and Availability May Stabilize in 2005
Mrs. Jerry Emmett – A Woman to Emulate
I am such an admirer of older women, I can’t hide it. I just LOVE the wisdom and wit of women’s stories and their ability to live through adversity, all the while championing children and others to work hard, form your beliefs, stoke your passions, and take action for positive change… Read More>>
Trumped-Up Math & CEO Comp Study
The AP’s CEO compensation study released this morning shows the median CEO pay RAISE (okay, not their pay…just this year’s raise) was $468,449; more than 10 times a typical worker’s ANNUAL salary. Read More >>
Elizabeth Hamilton on the Face of $10 Bill
Cokie Roberts of Elizabeth’s valor, ingenuity and resourcefulness, as opposed to her “philandering liar husband, Alexander” as a fitting choice to grace the FRONT of the $10 bill; I couldn’t agree more. Read More >>
My Husband Died, How Can I Be Thankful?
How can I possibly be thankful when my beloved died this year? If your beloved died this year you may well be asking this question, audibly and under your breath. Read More >>
3 Qualities All Advisers’ Outsourcing Partners Should Share
I participated in a panel on the subject of outsourcing at the Women Adviser Summit hosted by InvestmentNews. Since the event, I’ve had time to think further about the topic and to discuss it with our panel moderator, Marion Asnes, and co-panelist Heather Hooper, who is the vice president of retirement strategies for my trusted outsource partner, Loring Ward.
We all realized that the topic we were addressing went far beyond a decision to outsource certain functions or processes. Rather, it went to the core of how we want to live our lives, professionally as well as personally. If that seems like a stretch, let me explain. Read More >>
Female Advisers Share Secrets for Outsourcing
One strategy: Hiring a third party to free them up and boost business. Read More>>
How to Save $10,000.00 by Next Thanksgiving
In Too Deep for New Year? What to Do About Debt
Choose the Right Executor or Trustee
April 2011 AARP
…Every estate-planning expert has faced an executor or trustee who was unavailable when needed — whether because of disability, distance, or death. That’s why they harp on naming backups. “I see people name their parents or an old uncle because he used to work at a bank,” says Debra L. Morrison, a wealth manager at Trovena LLC in Lincoln Park, N.J. “That’s fine, but a trust has to include successor trustees.” Read More >>
Debra Morrison Recommends Saving In Preparation for Uncertainty, 2 Months Before 9/11
July 2011 CNNfn
For the Recently Widowed, Some Big Financial Pitfalls to Avoid
September 2011 The New York Times
Dow Jones – Mistakes that Can Wreck A Retirement
May, 2011 Dow Jones Newswires
Should You Consider A Reverse Mortgage? It’s A Complicated Decision With A Lot To Consider!
August 2006 ParentCare
Putting Your 401K Back To Work: It Doesn’t Have To Just Sit There
January 2004 Reader’s Digest
Daily Record Top 50 Women in Business 2008
May 2008 Daily Record
- CNN Money – A 401(k) and a Roth IRA
- CNN Money – Top 401(k) Strategies
- CNN Money – Pre-tax Money and 401(k)s
- Journal of Financial Planning – Planning for Nontraditional Couples and Families
- Ladies Home Journal – Secrets of Cash-Savvy Couples
- Messiah College – Gender & Money
- Money Magazine – Should You Dump Your 401(k)
- More.com – Why Money Is Such an Emotional Topic
- New Jersey’s Best Fifty Women In Business
- The Record – Asset Allocation Tends To Reduce Overall Risk
- The Record – Electronic Organizers
- The Record – NJ Couple Gets Advice On How To Build Up Bucks
- The Record – Investment Mailbag
- The Record – The Votes Are In On Mutual Funds
As a dynamic and powerful speaker with extensive knowledge and years of experience in financial planning, widows’ recovery and retirement planning, Debra is frequently interviewed on her areas of expertise and passions, such as:
- Wise Widows Walk: One Step At A Time, From Recovery Of Loss To ABCs Of Financial Fitness
- Knowing What You Don’t Know About Money: What You Don’t Know Could Bankrupt You!
- Money As A Second Language: Translator Of Financeese To Everyday Woman- Speak
- Financial Recipes To Make Your Dough Rise – Managing Risk To Ensure Your Money Lasts LONGER Than You
- The WISE Women’s Guide to Investing: Watchful, Inquisitive, Strategic and Empowered Women Succeed With Their Money And Lives